View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

At the price they want for them they would have to be a really good rod for an unknown maker. At least unknown to me. I have never heard of them till right now. I think to get the price they have on them and still sell a lot of them they need to have a bit more info on the site. It's kind of lacking in specifics. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice sight, but I'd like to see more than just the rod label and a reel seat. If they had a reputation like Winston they might be able to get away with a slick but vague site.

As I said, I have never heard of them till right this minute. I like to see anyone get a company off the ground in this country. Not an easy thing to do these days and getting harder by the day. Since it seems some of you know these guys, if you agree with my assessment might want to mention it to them. Maybe mention things like is it a fast or what type rod. It was pretty wordy but sounds more sales pitchish than informative. And this line, "unique blend of modulus fibers" they might want to nix altogether. There is no such thing as modulus fibers. In rods there is modulus of elasticity, but it a physics term, not a fiber. It is the most abused word in the entire fishing industry, and they are abusing it there. They at least need to rephrase it.

From the sounds of those of you cast them, sound like good rods. Unfortunately, they don't have any of that on there either. If I was going to drop a fat wad of cash like they want on a rod that wasn't a known quantity like Winston, it would have to be at least somebody I have seen good things on here or a someplace like it, and more than just a few times. Like Allen for example. I have never seen a rod from them in my life, but have read good things. I have seen more than a few of you with them in photos and I don't recall hearing anything negative. Pegboy's company same kind of thing. Never heard anything negative about his rods either, although it is not a fair comparison because I can get two Flying Pigs and reel for what they want. Plus they are no longer an unknown quantity for me any longer.

It's nice they have a "call me" option so that they can give you some of the information the site lacks. Problem is, if it's like my experience with a web site, that won't do you much good. I assume they plan to go to the boat shows in Minnesota one of these days. I need to go to one again just to see what I have missed out on in the 8 or so years since I last went to one. If they do I would like to cast one sometime.

I wish them the best of luck.