View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferrule wrap issue, I want your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'd leave it long. Not sure what the finish would look like after being hit with a pad, flex coat or not. Just for future reference, I never do the scotch brite thing. I just go over the blanks finish. I have never had a problem and in fact have never heard you need to do it.
I read an interesting article on blank prep and epoxy adhesion. The writer admitted that it is not necessary as no factory rods are prepared this way and rarely does the epoxy fail. I decided to go with the extra step of prepping the blank to a "water break free" surface due to what I've read about care needed in mounting Recoil guides. If not properly wound with good epoxy penetration and adhesion they can slip free, due to the material's pliable nature. I know it was completely unnecessary for the ferrule where there isn't a foot to worry about, I just thought I'd do it. Live and learn.