View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
So give me a light fly rod with low swing weight that is sensitive and yet durable, resists twisting, has a great warranty at a low price and I'll be happy as a pig in mud.
I'm sure that the above is about as good a synopsis as you'll find....and the thoughts of sweetandsalt make perfect sense as well. I appreciate the idea of matching my Buick or Chevy skill set with a Ferrari of a rod and how that could work out. yikes!

As a guy with modest skills, yet great enthusiasm I'm drawn to rods that help me out...The CT's of the world, if you will...and I'm certain that there are more helpful rods for a little more $$$.

There are aesthetic or romantic inputs to this, though as well...(this is my $.02) that make me want to fish the 1970 glass Daiwa piece of poo that I keep hauling around, because it fishes like wearing a pair of old slippers...and it's got 2 replacement guides wrapped with thread that almost, kinda matches the remaining original wraps. It has an old Pflueger Saltrout on it...and when I outfish my buddies and their Winstons and Sages with it...well, as a competitive goon, that's pretty cool...

At the same time...when I go seriously trying to hook up a steely or I'm drifting the Madison (for more $$$ than I paid for my first car) I've got a Sage in my hand too, with a strong Orvis reel and I'm looking for the "best" I can have at my disposal to enhance my performance.

So...if you are talking about the technical, verifiable criteria that make a rod superior, that's one thing. What makes a rod "special" is clearly in the eye of the beholder and can be situational in my mind.

We need winter over and the passes to open...-Mike