View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

I sincerely believe that, difficult to define though they may be, there are objective criteria that define rod performance. Not rod "preference" but "performance”. To employ an automotive analogy; a BMW M3 is low to the ground, has super low profile tires and a stiff, stiff suspension and a stiff clutch with close together, short-throw gear ratios. It is prone to jar over every road surface irregularity and communicate them through the steering wheel and the seat of your pants. It has little room for fly rods and growls a lot. It inhales high octane fuel and is very expensive and very costly to maintain and repair. Hit a pot hole and I don't know what one of those modular rims will set you back. But it is among the fastest, flattest cornering, perfectly 50/50 weight balanced, highest performing street rides this side of super cars. The right car for you? Not for me either though I certainly admire it. To extract even a reasonable percentage of its performance you need to have some serious track training. I "drove" one on the Nürburgring on a computerized simulator while in Berlin and had to go back to my hotel and take a nap afterwards it was so intense...the computer guy shut me down as I slid off the Nordschleife towards a retaining wall at 155 MPH. This is why a lot more Accords and Camrys are on the road instead of M3's.
Your description is exactly why I own and drive a M3. I did the BMW ring taxi thing at Nurburgring a few years ago & that was quite the thrill...yet I will take my progressive actioned bamboo rods over my Z Axis any day! I think the anglers casting stroke and skill has to match (be in synergy with) the rod action / feel to extract the most enjoyment and benefits