View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some 'stockers' I caught for Friday

Dan, the Dismal Creek,,and Wolf Creek,,were I fish for stockers,,have no wild trout in them. By the end of the week,,most of these will be gone,,two weeks there will not be a one left. Before stocking programs,,long time'ago,,there might have been native trout,,but today the stocked trout never stay in long enough to reproduce. It's a shame of the small stream and too many fishermen I suppose. These are public sections on National Forest and it's basically just a 'place and take' program. Sad in a way, but that's the reality of it. And,,as you can see from the picture,,it's shameful the size of the stocked trout they DO put in. Gives a guy a bit of guilt. Guess I could turn'em loose, but in 10min the next guy is gonna catch them and take'em home to eat, so a couple times a year I keep me a few to eat. Sometimes,,most times,,I put'em back.

Now,,we do have streams with native and wild trout,,most all of these are on pvt property,,thus they can survive. I fish some of these areas were I have permission,,and never keep a trout unless something horrible goes wrong in the tussle.

Guys that live in good native and wild trout fishing , count your blessings. This trout deal here is one reason I like to fish small-mouth that are in the streams naturally. Hardly anyone will keep a small-mouth and that just suits the stuffing right outta me. I haven't keep a dozen small mouth in my life and that was when I was just a kid.

I'd love to live in wild trout country like the guys out west have. I'd keep me one trout on occasions,,maybe...and enjoy knowing the ones I let go were natural to the area and would be there tomorrow for my return.