View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod grip style, and Lefty's principles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I see what you are saying.... But, in the photo with the floppy cast;
Click the image to open in full size.

He has a bent wrist. In a V grip you can get the rod pretty close to flat without bending your wrist. If you get your thumb in the way and don't bend your wrist you can't get it back past 2 oclock. So I am going to go out on a limb here and make the assumption Lefty also said don't bend your wrist.

Turbineblade, you can also disregard the don't bend your wrist thing when you are better.
Here is a slow motion of Lefty casting. Does Lefty bend his wrist back on the back cast?

In his book, Modern Fly Casting Methods, when addressing teaching beginners, Lefty writes "use of the forearm with little or no wrist .... delivers a more efficient cast...." However in longer casts, as in the video, you can decide whether the wrist comes into play on the backcast.

Hint, Lefty says that one should use the thumb on top grip and point with the thumb. At the forward stop the Lefty's thumb is on a direct line with his forearm. Now look at the stop on the backcast. Is Lefty's thumb on a direct line with his forearm?

Lefty says for accuracy on the cast, you use the thumb on top grip and point your thumb at the target. My question is when you tell someone to point at a target, do they point with their thumb or their index finger? That is why many, if not most casters, who use the thumb on top grip will switch to the forefinger on top or along the rod grip on accuracy casts.

As I said before, my problem is not really whether one uses the wrist or not as long as the cast is efficient. It is in telling beginners not to bend the wrist when the natural tendency is to bend the wrist.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy