View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calf tail fouled on hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

Are you saying that the problem of hook fouling is mostly related to using material that is too "wispy" or is it a function of wing/tail length versus hook length?
It is both.

Flexible material can bend and material that bends can bend around the hook during casting. Fouling is also related to the length of the material. VEry long material has less of a tending to foul because the end of of the material is well away from the hook point and bend. Material that is very shot cannot foul. There is an "intermediate length" that can foul depending on the material stiffness.

There is a rule of thumb but I cant recall it right now. I think it is material that is 1 - 3 times the hook length can foul but I'm not sure.

As stated above, make a loop of stiff mono and tied it to the back of the hook to "hold" the material way and above the hook point. Another strategy is to tie stiffer material first and then the floppy material above it.

Fouling Streamers

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy