View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calf tail fouled on hook?

To the original posted question. First, these guys have given great advise for tying to prevent fouling. However, since you used calftail & specifically that it had twisted, I have to ask, was it twisted when you removed it from the tail?

Reason I'm asking, I've gotten calftails with twisted hair & it's difficult to get it to straighten. The hair has a "set" or memory in it, particularly longer calftail.

Some hairs will straighten out a bit after getting wet, but not all.

One way to prevent the twisting of the hair is of course, don't use what is already twisted.

I've never had the problem you've described when using calftail, but I'm more particular about selecting what part of the tails I cut hair from & how the hair looks. Twisted & kinked hair will often cause problems.

I've tied Clouser style flies many times with much finer hairs than calftail, such as Fox, and have had very little issue with them fouling. Sure, no matter how you try to make sure fouling is not a problem, it can happen anyway. But it can also be limited.

I would be interested in seeing some pictures of the fly you're having these issues with, to further determine what might have actually caused the problem.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!