Thread: Old Bamboo Rods
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Bamboo Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumojo View Post
I think i would leave the reel seats and just re wrap the guides or replace them if need be
The reel seat on the Japanese rod is junk. It's very thin chromed brass over a pine dowel. In fact the rod itself isn't that great and never was.
The one that I had when I was a kid cost $3.
IMHO that rod would be a waste of effort unless you were to strip it down for parts for a "banty".

A banty is a short, light weight fly rod and they're often made from the tip and mid sections of a 9' bamboo rod. If you were to match the fly tip and mid from that rod and maybe include the butt section from above the grip this might be very possible.
But forget about that seat/grip. You'd need better (and smaller)
I suggest that you put that rod away for a while while you work on the other one. And once you have more experience, think about it

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-13-2013 at 02:59 PM.