View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

If, in your journeys, you were to happen upon me during one of my "solo" trips astream, you would no doubt think me alone, just a solitary figure whose waders were responsible for the momentary splitting of the currents in their downstream flow. And, while I'll admit that my presence streamside does alter the pre-determined course of the river a bit, to see me as "alone" would be to take things only at face value.

You see, I'm one of those fly fishermen who stubbornly refuses to give up his "heavyweight" fly vest in exchange for the lighter, more compact and less cumbersome chest or waist packs. A multi-pocketed vest just suits me, as I tend to be more of a "pack rat" rather than a minimalist whenever I'm astream. Call it an unwillingness to conform, "old school" and the like, if you will. But, the plain truth of the matter is that I like "stuff" in my vest pockets, about 12-16 pounds of things I'll probably never use, but carry them with me, just the same.

Most were then and remain today the "toys" of fly fishing that intrigued me by design, or cause me to believe that they'd all one day come in handy. Still, of my 28 or so pockets, there are a few that are special far beyond the mere measure of their contents. They are a choice group of "carry collections" of my past, both distant and recent, and reminders of those who still fish beside me, if only in the spirit of this fly-man's heart. With them there, I never fish "alone..."

It's often said that the late Lee Wulff invented the fly vest years ago. I wonder if Mr. Wulff knew then on that day, as I know it now, how truly important to us all that those vest of memories would come to be. I like to think he did...

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.