View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

I agree with the others that "best" is certainly going to be subjective. Subjective to our individual reel design preferences, weight, where we we fish and the size of the fish in the streams/rivers/bodies of water, price, rod pairings. I could go on and on. Just to get the conversation going, I'll bite.

My personal short list of the most ideal trout reels, in no particular order:

Hardy LRH Lightweight- Simplicity at it's finest, light weight, classic timeless look

Abel PT.5- Classic looks, solid build, outstanding machining, nice heavy balance.

Orvis CFO III-Simplicity at it's finest, light weight, classic timeless look

Galvan Standard-classic styling meets modern reel technology. It's a Galvan for cripes sake!

Hardy Perfect- Arguably one of the most iconic reels ever produced.

There are undoubtedly lots of other great options out there and I'm basing my list on personal favorites. I've seen or own all but a Perfect. Someday I'll change that.

For trout, some may argue that each of them is overkill depending on whom you ask. Those Tenkara guys fish without a reel.