View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I do find it interesting that your favorite rod is from a "custom manufacturer" states: (one size fits all). .
I find that a tad interesting myself. I have built more custom rods than I can even count at this point, and the very rare occasion that I made two identical rods, it was for a person that wanted both of them.

I also think that what most people who think they make custom rods do is not custom For example, the ones you see on Ebay. Guy gets a blank and turns it into a rod and calls it custom. Custom is what a CUSTOMer wants made. Not what a builder wants to make and then find a customer.

What Pegboy is asking is a really hard question to answer. In my case though, it is good components put on in a professional looking manner. I don't care about color. I care about the performance of the rod. It does not need to be the fastest or lightest blank on the market. I think weight is a bunch of nonsense at the point blanks are at now. You need a very nice scale to even tell there is a difference. Same thing thing with the skinny, wind resistance stuff. For those of you who took physics and didn't sleep through class, work it out and ask yourself what the difference in a fat vs. skinny blank in terms of force is and if you are a fine enough instrument to even detect it. Most of what's going on is marketing driven and not actually for the rod. In fact some of what is being done is marketing driven is not even helpful, and like the overporting of reels is making weaker more easily damaged products.

Then there is price. I don't mind paying a lot for a good rod, but if I can do as well or better for less I am not going to be running out and buying the spendy one just to impress the folks who see me fishing with it.

I had a phone call that kept me from looking over and finishing this post. On the marketing driven side of things is stuff like Sage building on straightest visual line. Tracking is important in a long cast. How do you get good tracking with a rod that twists when you flex it? Being that the guides are off the center axis on the blank, it would cause an eliptical wobble in the rod tip. But look at the way people do with a rod in a shop. Pick it up, shake it, eye down it. Kind of forces a company not to build them the best way.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-13-2013 at 11:14 PM.