View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM

grahamzim44 is on a distinguished road
Default Western NC Streams/Advice/Guides

All,

I've enjoyed reading the forum over the past few days and decided to register and see if you all didn't mind sending some advice my way. I'll be traveling to the Western part of the state next week (March 18th-22) for work and was hoping to do some fishing. I've fly fished for about 4 years, but don't consider myself experienced by any means. I've done as much research as I can so far but still am having difficulty figuring out where to go and the most up to date reports. I've also never had a guide, and with the amount of outfitters in the western part of the state, I've been starting to wonder if I should invest in a half day.

Here's my plan: I'll likely be in the Spruce Pine area Tuesday night and I may have a few hours Wednesday morning in the area. Then I shoot down to Bryson City, Slyva and Franklin on Wednesday afternoon. My next meeting isn't until Thursday after lunch in Brevard, so I've focused on trying to find out where to stay between Franklin and Brevard on Wednesday night to be able to spend a half day morning fishing Thursday.

I plan on calling guide shops tomorrow to ask conditions and what's hitting, where to go, etc.; but I wanted to bring it up here first. 90% of the reason I go fishing is to enjoy the outdoors. But I usually have more than a morning to do so, and the more I read about how incredible the fishing can be in WNC the more I want to make sure I give myself the best opportunity to catch some.

Do you have any recommendations on where to go? Should I hire a guide? If so, where should I start calling?

That's alot of info, but I appreciate all the help! Feel free to ask any questions.