View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kiwi coming to visit

Hey Fisherlinz

July in Southern Ontario is 'tough sleddin' fishing wise. With day temps sitting 28-34 degrees C, most waters in TO-St. Catherines are warm as...well, they're pretty warm. As well, at this time many of the rivers and creeks are algae/weed beds. And if the summer is as predicted, it will be like last year...DROUGHT conditions. Sorry to sound a bit dismal.

Not sure what species you were looking for but because of the time of year and warmth, bass, mostly smallmouth and other centrarchids are the main-stay fish in the majority of rivers in the area you described.

If you make it to the Niagara River...you should be able to find cold water and while I have not fished that river myself, I am expecting it would 'react' like any deep Great Lakes river.....basically, any given cast with any given tackle could produce a wide range of fish from perch to various species of salmon.

All in all, gearing 6-7wt, 9-10 foot with at least a full sink and full floating lines....and a range of patterns though anything leach like (at this time of year) will give equal results to the range of species though expect bass to dominate.

That said, if you make to Caledonia on the Grand River....in july you are hitting the end of an intersting species....Mooneye which are a great little fish on the dry fly. I run 9' 3wt with size 12 caddis (white-grey). Mooneye are not big (Ontario record is 16" or so) but they are pretty and a good evening out. Problem is, if the water is too warm, fighting them can be lethal to them and for that, that is why I say you are nearing the end of that 'season'.

Good luck

King Joe, Outa Here!