View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

It's a cold morning here in the North East, I'll bite:

1. Spring&Pawl: A handmade Stan Bogdan is the best I've ever seen or, for a factory reel; the CFO (designed by Stan but not loved by him latter) or Abel Creek

2. Exotic Reel: I suppose Ari't Hart's reels, made by him in his home in Holland, are the finest trout reels on the Planet. Oh, little Abel Supers are terrific and my wife loves her German Vosseler and I wish I had bought one of Jack Charlon's first generation reels and my buddy loves his Sarcione...but Ari trumps them all.

3. Readily available and reasonably priced: I fish Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD reels and find both to be totally reliable, fine tunable, smooth pleasures to fish with. the U DD has an extra unusual advantage; the incremental size differences between models makes it reasonable to achieve exactly the balance you strive for with any trout rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

A Brace of Harts

Click the image to open in full size.

Bogdan Spring&Pawl Trout