View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
As I said in at he beginning of my post here, it is hard to debate that personal preference should not be the deciding factor in rod selection. I too love the rich flamed color and individualistic character of fine cane. Swelled butts, silk wraps with inlays, nickle silver ferrules that go pop! when you take the rod down to wipe it with a soft cloth...

... My preference in progressive, quick recovering rod action is based on the type of technical presentation I favor but rods like Sage Circa and some of the also advanced technology Helios 2's illustrate that the small stream, deeper flexing style of rod suited to others of you can be improved upon as well.

Before his untimely passing last year, Sam Druckman, former Scott, Winston, Sweetgrass and, lastly, Freestone rod designer, was working on a computer program that would predict, before a prototype ever had guides taped on it, before a flag of carbon pre-preg was even cut, where unwanted oscillation would occur and how to counter dampen it to design an ever smoother, sweeter casting fly rod for the future.
I believe I am clear in my own personal preferences and how and why they have evolved for me. Too, I readily acknowledge others individual preferences to be great for them as well and how current advances in deisgn and technology improve all flex profiles of rods. Clearly, the same rod I favor on the Missouri would be an unlikely choice for me to rig up to fish an intimate PA Limestoner. In my edited quote of myself above, I thought I had already addressed much of this. I will persist, however, in maintaining that knowledge is expanded by experimentation more than by repetition of known habitualized behavior. I am not suggesting that this is WT Bash's, who does explain his reasoning, or anyone elses modus operandi but there is a great deal of non-critical opinion involved in, "what feels right to (a given individual)" and too little "objective" reasoning and explanation as to WHY a particular design of fishing tackle is optimal for the individual and the specific angling environment. I am probably reacting, to a degree, of the plethora of opinions like, "its right if it makes you have fun", and the dearth of critical comparative analysis.