Thread: Glass rods ?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Glass rods ?

First off, check out the fiberglassflyrodders forum for everything to do with glass.To me, glass is king of the smaller stream. The fuller flex of glass allows you to cast a nice loop with just a foot or two of fly line out of the tip. The fish on feel is great too, an 8" trout will nearly double over a short 3wt glass rod. Modern glass is nothing like your grandpas glass. It is light and responsive. Cabelas has the CGR on sale for $50 which is a good way to give glass a try on thethe cheap. They also have the CGT which I would personally stay awayfrom, to me the CGR is a better rod at a better price. Some high end glass to look out for includes Steffen, McFarland, Kenney, Kabuto, James Green, Scott, and others. I personally use a 6'6" Scott F2 3wt for most of my small stream fishing for small trouts, it is a fairy wand in my hands. I have also played with its little brother, the 6' 2wt, it wasnt as gutsy as the 3wt, but still a really fun rod for small flies and small trout. I pray for your checkbook if you get bit by the glass bug. Best of luck on your glass adventure!!!

-Chase