Thread: Water Safety
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Water Safety

I don't fish a lot of "big water" and I'm not an aggressive wader so I just take my time and make my crossings at shallow riffles. After I fish them of course, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way in terms of safety. I did have one experience that made me want to check my drawers. I was wading frog water one winter, making my way around an old dead fall when literally the bottom just opened up all around the tree. Apparently enough leaves had filled in the hole during the fall and after a period high water, followed by frigid temps, had deposited enough sand and small gravel to cover the leaves over and then freeze. A few steps and it all crumbled away leaving a 6'+ hole under my feet. I was like Wylie Coyote, suspended in water for a split second till I looked down. I still don't know how I didn't get wet. I sat on the bank and chain smoked till I calmed down and just started laughing like an idiot at the whole thing. I do my best to not wade when possible these days.