View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod grip style, and Lefty's principles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
"stop tipping sacred cows."
Good one Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine
it's much more about what your casting looks like regardless of how you hold it
You got it, Turbine. Results, comfort and sometimes endurance.

Also a consideration is the esoteric discussion over what is technique and what is style? Someone else has already mentioned that they use different styles (or techinques). I think we all do. Lots of things enter into our decisions, wind velocity and direction, stealth needed or not, weight of the rig, backcast obstructions, type of presentation, on and on and on.

No one style/technique for me fits all circumstances. That applies to everything from stance, through angle of the rod in relation to the water, all the way to the grip.

For instance, I can blind cast for hours with a light rod and twist the reel position sideways if I want. But with a loaded Gulfstream weighing a full pound, it is not so comfortable doing so for hours. Nor is using a thumb on top grip either (especially on the backcast) on that rig.

So I wouldn't worry about style or technique, just try different ones in different circumstance and use what is comfortable for you, and what works for you in those circumstances. Don't try to mimic someone else to the exclusion of experimentation. Your concentration should be on what I think are the two fundamental objectives. Loop shape, loop shape, loop shape, and comfort, comfort, comfort.

My objective is to have fun, not beat myself up. It is not a "no pain no gain" endeavor for me - but the exact opposite.