View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flyfishing for Sauger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Sauger are difficult to specifically target with any tackle,
Actually that's not true here. It isn't fly fishing but in the Lake of the Woods where I live, I can whack the snot out of them out in the deep basin of Big Traverse Bay, by downrigging crankbaits. If you want to avoid the Sauger, you bring the crankbait farther off the bottom. If you want the Sauger you skim the bottom.

We have a limit that seperates Walleye and Sauger, unlike most places where they combine them as a single Walleyeish type fish. So in order to limit out, you need to be able to target the Sauger.

Also, early in the season you can find large schools of them quite shallow. Generally you can get into them where there are few if any Walleye mixed in. The resorts here try and target the Sauger with a pretty fair amount of success in the winter. They try and just do Walleye Summer, and Sauger Winter. You get the strays like I said, but the bulk of the winter harvest is Sauger, Summer it's Walleye.

Once when I was working for the fisheries dept. here, we needed to collect a bunch of Saugers for some stocking thing someplace else. (We do zero stocking here) We got them by fishing for them. It was kind of fun. We got into the Sauger in shallow like I mentioned they do, and got a pile of them and very few Walleye.

Ice fishing here, you can get out in the main basin and fish the deeper spots for days without getting a Walleye and clobber Sauger all day long.

You can target them and get primarily Sauger, but just like Walleye fishing where you get the stray Sauger, you are going to get the stray Walleye.

Also, I wouldn't say that Sauger are not surface feeders. They are rarely surface feeders, but the key word is rarely, not never. Same with Walleye. Fall before last Bill and I got almost all of our Walleye on or very near the surface. I have seen them hit emerging Mayflies and drowned spinners. The Walleyes were hitting Emerald Shiners running just under the surface in the dark.

There is a common misconception that Walleye and Sauger will not bite if suspended. It is completely untrue. People that believe that miss out on a lot of fish.

By the way, where were you planning to fish for them?