View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Fred Was WRONG! Sooooo, wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
A line not wanting to pull a heavy fly out of the water at short range...

Perhaps speeding up your stroke would help a bit when you run into the shorter distances, worth a shot. You can do a lot to change the way a rod reacts to a line by modifying your stroke.

You many be far more right than wrong. Post up today of my on our DB float his past Saturday and Nate's comment (to the effect) 61' and sitting down. Out today with the Sage 7100 XP and tried a different tack. With a one hander I usually 'spey cast with same (rod doesn't know-rod doesn't care) and with the slower stroke involved I was banging out like .... like I REALLLLYYY LIKE THIS LINE!

The tip off was an earlier post that had the grain weights at 30 feet and with the entire 65 foot head off the reel (and out the rod tip). Those kind of grains are what you'd expect (top end) out of a heavy 4wt or light 5 weight 2hander.

Same flies as Saturday and I was consistantly hitting the 75 - 85 foot mark with a bit of shooting line follow up reel to fly. Not bad for a 10' rod! Not bad at all. The thing with 2hander casting is 'slow is good!' Slower maybe even better. Somewhat counter intuitive with a singe hander rod.

fae