View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM

corb90 is on a distinguished road
Default upcoming trip to the salt

Hello All,
In a couple of months I am taking a trip with a bunch of my buddies to Captiva Florida. We go every year and as most know, it's a pretty good fishing destination. I have been fly fishing for about a year and am planning on taking my rod and reel down with me. Ive got a 5 wt echo carbon and a lamson konic. I know most will say its too light but considering I am a college student paying out of pocket for school, a heavier rod and reel arent in the cards right now. I am also planning on going after jacks and ladyfish, not snook or anything, and have heard of people doing this on a 3wt. Can anyone give me some pointers as to where is a good place to fish for these types of fish as well as what flies work well, Ive been tying some size 6 clouser minnows for upcoming smallmouth season and the guy at the fly shop in florida last year recommended the same pattern for down there. Also, I plan on buying some blue halo or bass pro white river line so I dont mess up my rio gold. Should I go sink tip, or floating and should I get some 6wt reel to help throw larger flies in the wind? Any advice will help!