View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default buffalo brown...the pre cursor to the march brown mayfly

here is a pre cursor pattern to the dry version of the march brown..super simple to tie...but very effective...it is copied after probably one of the oldest and most fished fly pattens ever tied..just with some stuff from the ranch...it also works for steelheads in a larger size...

it is a basic dubbed body with spiral wrap of .015 gold wire...and a ginger or brown hackle for wings/legs...size 16-14...the pic is a 14...

I like this a a dropper fly in a commbo with a smaller scud or baetis etc on the bottom...maybe even a rainbow warrior or red copper john etc.I also like to tie this one with a black body, silver wire and gray hackle...more of a black stone fly version...maybe up to a size 12...

I used to grab a handful of wool from the buffalo when we would have to work the buffalo on our ranch in a squeeze chute once a year to administer shots etc for their well being...they didnt miss it( the wool)...and I have lifetime supply of awesome dubbing...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-16-2013 at 07:53 AM.