View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: opening day strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbar View Post
Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes,ponds,rivers,brooks? What patterns would you use.
Fishing here (Southern Ontario/Great Lakes/Lake Huron) doesn't really have off seasons....we have closed areas where-by the upper tribs are closed...but the lakes and bigger rivers remain open....buy we also have ice seasons. Basically, if you can find open water in the lakeshore or big rivers, flies are flying.

Swung by one of my locations today.....ice lines the shore for the most part...but there are openings. AND not many ice flows drifting downstream from the lake proper.

Last year at this time at this location, i had landed 25 steels already....so i am ansy to get out NOW....dang ice.

I'm a nympher (czech and indicator) predominately though not above two-handing streamers from my switch rod now and then. In my locations, float and bait fishers run long drifts so nymphing 25' wedges (my casting radius/area) is all I need to frustrate the baiters and hook 'another' steel in front of them.

Good luck on the opening.

King Joe, Outa Here!