View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I want to start tying

hey kicker19,

Due to my annual free fly-tying classes for "my kids"-- kids who, like me, are battling cancer --I hear this question a lot from the parents of "my kids." The mere wrapping of a hook and the chance to fish it when the weather warms makes a HUGE difference in the lives of "my kids," as it removes cancer from the equation for a few hours and holds their attention.

I have to side with fly_guy12955 on his observations. The Regal is a great vise, as are both the Renzetti and the HMH Spartan. I've owned all three-- as well as a Dyna-King and a number of others --and I keep coming back to my HMH and my Regal. Built in the USA and both with super warranties.

The only other pieces of advice that I would give is to commit to it, buy the best stuff you can afford-- especially tools and hackle, as good hackle is much easier to wrap than "cheap" hackle --and practice... Practice... PRACTICE!!! Great tiers didn't become great tiers without putting in a lot of time and energy at the tying bench. No matter how good your flies become, always strive to tie the next one better than the last!

And, if you need an assist on the critical decisions, don't be afraid to ask!! Most of us here who've been into tying for awhile no doubt have made our share of "mis-steps." A few might even be willing to sell you a few "must have" items at far below the going rate. This forum is loaded with some great folks...

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.