View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Louisiana Redfish

We (wife, 2 sons) fished Monday and Tuesday (11th, 12th) with Greg Dini and Miles LaRose out of the Rosedale area. I think your guide works with Greg and Miles, if he is who I think he is his fisherman had great success, plus he has a nice boat.

Monday was brutal winds, 25+ so we opted for spinning tackle, Thomas my oldest caught 2 on plastics to 13# with Greg.

Tuesday was a completely different day. Mom was sick so I fished with Greg alone, Thomas and Sam fishes with Miles.

I saw easily 100+ reds, couple in the 20# range. Caught 3 at 25-28" in the 5-8# range. Greg had me using a bushy heavy rabbit tail Clouser, red/yellow tail with purple head. Casting was all very very close (forget the 80-100' stuff). Work on your quick short extremely accurate casts with lots of wind. You'll need to hit 12" circles quick with no false casting. I can't over emphasize show accurate with bushy flies you have to be. Practice casting off you back shoulder too as they of then slip up from all sides.

My sons did much better with 4-5 reds each and Thomas caught a 7+# Sheepshead. Sam's first keeper sized game fish on a fly was a 8#ish red.

Greg Dini is a great guide but is also a tough taskmaster. Be ready for quick critique but completely useful feedback.The boys loved fishing with Miles.

We used 8wts but 9 or 10 wt is not out of place in the wind with big flies. Secondly a really big red can be tough is you are really back in the weeds. If you don't have proper tackle all the guides have great stuff to use.

They picked us up each morning at our hotel in New Orleans. They have great places for a quick breakfast and pick up sandwiches for the boat.

We're going back when I save some more pennies.

Will post picks later,

Pete A.