View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, for you function over form guys, look at Flying Pigs rods. They look better than Sage and I'll bet you the perform better out far than Sage. I tried my FP and it is actually spined right. As I said, Sage builds on straightest visual line. So everytime you flex the rod you impart a twist in the blank. This rotates the guides to the side. Having mass off the centerline of the blank will impart an eliptical wobble in the tracking of the rod.

If you have all else equal, line caster etc., you will be better off with the Flying Pig rod that costs less, by a lot, and it looks better too.
I checked out their website.

Performance Fly Rods - Fly Fishing Gifts | Flying Pig Fly Rods

They only have 1 rod (9ft 4 pc) available in 4 different line weights (4, 5, 7 and 8). 2 of those are back ordered (4 & 5). Very Very limited in selection. More to come at some point. Doesn't help me now. Fast action, if that's what you like. But on the bright side they have snazzy T-shirts and Hats available for those of you who are more particular about appearances.

As far as looks, the one in the middle other than the piggy decal looks alot like a Sage One. The other 2 pictured have a wood reel seat area. I would prefer a simple metal one, more durable.

I like to keep my local fly shop in business, That's why I have have 6 sages. If he sold a flying pig I still don't think I would have one as they don't sell any comparable rods to the sages I have. They are about the same price I paid for my Sage Vantage. Looks like the only place to get them is order from the factory website. I see no mention of dealers on the website.