View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I took it to a rod maker, and after a couple of wiggles, he said it was built too straight.
I can't imagine how straight would be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
..... the section that wasn't aligned properly, there was no missing it! Jack went on to say that a lot of the major companies use home wrappers, and they often wrap them so the rod is straight. Having said that, how many people would drop $800 on a rod that looks crooked?
That wrapping so the rod is straight is the straightest visual line I was talking about. Like Sage does. All, or very nearly all, blanks have a bit of a curve to them. What straightest visual line is, they turn the curve up, and the weight of the guides on the bottom side use gravity to pull it down so it LOOKS straight.

I on the other hand, prefer that they be built on the spine. The only side that the rod does not twist on when it's flexed. I like it for two reasons. If you are casting far, tracking is important. How good can your tracking be if your rod twists and hula dances everytime you load it? Second, when you set the hook on a fish, it Rapidly flexes and Twists the rod blank. Almost everyone has at some time in their life either had it happen, or saw it happen to somebody else, but they set the hook and the rod busts right in front of the grip. The fattest part of the blank not buried in cork.

Actually, I would think the twisting would make the rod more suseptible to coming loose at the ferrules and busting during casting as well. I have not experimented on it, but I can't see how twisting twice every stroke can't have some effect on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
IAs far as looks, the one in the middle other than the piggy decal looks alot like a Sage One. The other 2 pictured have a wood reel seat area. I would prefer a simple metal one, more durable.
Wood seats are stabilized wood. They put them in a vacuum with acrylic resin. It fills the cells and once hardened is tougher than an aluminum seat and looks better as well. Besides, what would you do to a metal seat that would kill a wood one? I have wood seats that are going on 15 years old, that have been in freezing cold to burning hot. Very dry to in the rain. Granted I don't go banging my rods around like I have a lifetime no fault warranty I can abuse, but I fish a lot with them and have never had a problem at all. REC, Bellinger, AmTak and who knows who else have sold about a billion of them. I doubt they would have if they didn't last. Winston sure wouldn't put them on their rods if they didn't.