View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I want to start tying

charlie cravens book is an excellent book for beginners, you tube tyers show you how to tie fly patterns but most of them do not explain the how what when and why a certain technique is used but a good tying instructor will teach you all of that and more when you take fly tying lessons at your local fly shop. lessons will also shorten the learning curve.

i cannot recommend a fly tying kit as i do not have the financial resources to buy every brand out there, work with each and every kit and provide a proper evaluation. i don't think a lot of tyers can do that either. i would agree that there may be kits that are better than other kits but i have no knowledge of which ones.

do you pick a tying tools only kit?

do you pick a materials only kit?

do you pick a tools and materials kit?

(GOOGLE "fly tying kit" and you'll see what i mean)

i still believe your local fly shop is the best source for fly tying equipment and materials. most shops have a price point to meet everybody's needs.

thanks for looking

norm

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/