View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Really Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Environmental concern is not high on Akron's list of priorities. There is a project going on to revamp the sewer and drain problems that keeps the Cuyahoga from making a solid recovery from the days it would and did go on fire. With every significant rain our drains are overwhelmed and it causes our out dated sewer lines to flood and spill into the Hoga. You can smell it, microwavable popcorn, every time I fish it after a rain even well after a rain. However its a 20 some odd year project. The state just doesn't have the budget, in my opinion we are severely under taxed (locally). Our roads suck, and I mean seriously, our public schools are horrible, the general infrastructure is as out dated as bell bottoms and dickies and now there is talk about expanding gas/oil drilling, so there really isn't a lot of hope for community involvement in environmental issues.

You might be looking at the oil companies in the wrong light. They will do a better job of policing themselves than the locals will AND when asked nicely will get involved with local projects to help clean up rivers and creeks. They budget monies each year to help the local communities, your biggest fight will be keeping the politicians hands out of the cookie jar to achieve meaningful projects. They have a lot of big equipment at their disposal and don't mind helping if approached by a local chapter of TU or other organized group.

Dave