View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM

jedwuuba will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter Fly Fishing Video - GoPro Footage

Yeah, I used the chest mount for these videos. I have a head mount, but I like the angle with the chest mount because it shows my hands handling the line. My arms get in the way at times but I guess that's just part of it.

It was in the 20-30 degree range for both of these videos. The line guides freeze over every few casts if it's windy. I fished one day with wind chills around -15F. Needless to say, it was cold as _____. A lot of the streams freeze up around here during the winter and I've hiked into some only to realize I should have brought my ice fishing auger.

I'm in the process of compiling footage from 20 outings to create a "best of winter" video. Big fish are tough to come by around here; I've only caught one 16" this winter with most being in the 8"-13" range. Most of the streams are closed until April 1st so stream selection is limited.

Most of the fish have been caught with midge and baetis nymphs. I don't do a lot of streamer fishing and that's what it takes to catch the bigger ones around here. I'm sure I'll give in and throw some sooner or later, but I prefer small nymphs and dries for whatever reason.