View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
My argument here isn't "tool" or "jewelry", it's value.

I'm not too hung up on appearance but I do want to see VALUE. If I pay $800 for a rod I expect it to perform AND top notch components. I guess I'm a bit jaded because as a rod builder I know what these components cost. If I can buy that blank for $500 I expect to see $300 worth of components and workmanship or it's a bad purchase to me. So here's how I would look at this:

Sage One 9' 5wt MSRP $775

Sage One 9' 5wt blank $363

Does a factory Sage One have $412 worth of components and workmanship? I can tell you that if I get the overwhelming itch for a Sage One I will build it.
My vote for post of the day.

I'll bet you could allow yourself $25/hr, put better stuff on it, make it look better, be spined right and still come out ahead. Plus have a better built, better looking rod.

Klunker, after reading the rest of your post, have you considered having a photo taken with your car in the front yard in your holey clothes and self done hair and send it to Bill Engval for Red Neck Yard of the Week?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Speaking of cars, Dan I was wondering if there are matt finishes as an option for fly rods. I was thinking a black, brown or green blank might look neat if there was a durable matt varnish or urethane. Paired with nice brushed nickle and exotic hardwood hardware might be a neat look.
How were the bamboo rods of old treated? Did they use a type of varnish or perhaps an oil to allow the boo to breath?

I really do prefer the muted darker colors for rod blanks. I want my rod to blend into the surroundings, not shine like a diamond encrusted microphone you might see at a rap concert. Kinda like the Lamborghini that Batman drove, all matt black.
My favorite rod, the old Sage RPL is one of the most plain rods I've seen. The brown is good but the shade is dated. Their new brown is nice.
There are matte finishes on some blanks. I doubt that you can get the makers to one off one for you though. You never know, T&T rolled a 17' 11 wt. for me and they have not made them for quite a while.

As far as that blending in, if they can see your rod, that's the least of your worries, so unless you fish in a ghillie suit, I think you may be overthinking the rod finish a tad.

Bamboo they use a rod varnish on. I have a bit left over from the last bamboo I refurbished, and that's the only place I would use it. I do like the hardwood idea. I use it a lot. My 10 wt. Winston.
Click the image to open in full size.