View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough
Default Breaking in new net

I was lucky enough to purchase a beautiful net from Greg at Sierra-Nets. I also had 6wt Bamboo rod I wanted to try out with a new to me Galvan Torque reel. On Friday the 15th I headed up to the Upper Kern River in the Southern Sierras in Ca. At the fist spot realized my sliding band reel seat does not fit my T-6 reel, as it keep falling off. Now I was left with my 10ft Streamflex 3wt.

Please excuse the pics, I was using my phone and trying to take the pics quickly to get the fish out of the net and back in the water.

I headed upstream a few miles and found a spot with a couple of pools and lucky for me I saw fish, I had to cast 40ft up and across the stream to get the drift right after playing around with a few nymphs this was my first fish maybe 14in

Click the image to open in full size.

It had some nice color to it and fought well. I think it took a olive birds nest

After repositioning to another pool, I added a zebra midge as a second fly and I was able to land this bow

This one was quite a bit fatter and maybe 16in

I moved upstream a bit and found another pool area between submerged rocks and was able to this heavily spotted beauty on a black birds nest size 16.

Good sized fish and had quite a bit of fight to it.

It was an amazing day on the water

My final fish of the day, I only was on the water for 4 hours and brought 6 fish to net and lost a couple more. It was incredible day on the water. There were a couple of fish feeding on top as I was leaving maybe a BWO hatch around 18-20 in size.

Greg hooked me up with a Claro Walnut Burl handle with Wenge and Mahogany hoop. I also was able to get a really cool magnetic net release from him

Here are a couple of pics of the net, it has a great feel to it. If you ever need a custom net Greg is incredible to deal at Sierra Nets - Sierra Nets, Custom Wood Fly Fishing Trout Landing Nets, custom rods and reels, hand crafted fishing nets, flyfishing, fly fishing accessories

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide