View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

Yesterday, in the wee hours of the morning, I finished looking through the sketch book of one Montgomery Jackson and closed the cover duly impressed. It was/is obvious that his "artistry" with a fly rod complemented his artistic abilities with pen/pencil and paper. The sketches now are being perused by my girls.

The yawning depths of Box #1 again got my immediate attention. The next item most readily grabbed was an old leather tri-fold fly wallet with a strap & buckle closure and obvious age to it. In all our years together astream, I'd never seen the late Montgomery Jackson carry such an item, as he tended to favor the smaller 6-compartment Wheatley boxes. It also was somewhat thin for fly wallets that are traditionally lined with fleece. Another mystery of sorts in this well-packed and planned-out delving into the life of a now-departed best friend.

Its contents set me back on my heels a bit, and it's taken me the better part of a day to let it all sink in. Within the wallet was a set of old-style "skeleton" keys, a pairing I immediately recognized as belonging to the locks on Montgomery's small riverside cabin. It boasts a sign next to the front door that bears its name-- "Trail's End."

And, beneath the keys sat a set of folded documents that I never saw coming... the notarized clear deed and title to the cabin and its assignment to me, all signed in the months prior to his death. Today, I put the "Fish Truck" into 4-wd. and head out for a little "exploration" of sorts. What I'll find at the old cabin remains to be seen...