Thread: Bass Fly Help
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bass Fly Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
What little I have gotten to fish in the salt I have tried the my 5wt several times with no success. As soon as I moved up to my heavier rig I started getting hooked up. I really would like to get hooked up to some ladyfish and speckled trout on my 5wt but it just has not worked out.
The only exception is back bay areas. When I take the kids fishing for Snappers (baby Blue Fish) in the fall or White Perch in the Spring I'll fish a 5wt because we're in the harbor (less wind, no surf) and 20' cast is all I need. The problem with the surf is even if the fish are feeding in close you need at least a 50' cast because you have to clear the wash (breaking waves) otherwise as soon as your fly hits the water the wash brings it right back onto the beach before a fish can see it.