View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

After my day of drift-busting my way back to Montgomery's old cabin, I had intended to make this entry something of an update of what I found. For now, that will have to wait. Two phone messages waiting for my return have altered my personal landscape a bit.

Come this Friday morning, I will speak at the funeral of a former tying student of mine from the 2010 class, one of "my kids" battling cancer. She lost her battle last night, succumbing to the disease just after making it to her 16th birthday.

On Saturday, I'll again take my place as a speaker at the funeral of one of my current students. Like me, she'd been locked in a war with brain cancer. Where we differ most is that I've survived three separate bouts, and she lost her life to the cancerous tumor this morning at the age of 12.

It never gets easier, and some of my closest friends continue to wonder why I put myself in this position. To be honest with you, I really don't know, other than the fact that the classes have helped a lot of kids who've taken on more challenges in their short lives than most will ever know. Or, it could be the fact that I understand their trials and tribulations better than some, and that Debbi and I lost our youngest to leukemia in 2010.

One of my fishing buddies compares my teaching these classes to being in a veritable knife fight. You know that you're going to get hurt... You just don't know how deep the cuts will be... Maybe so... maybe so...

Be well, my friends, and hug your kids tonight like there's no tomorrow, because for some, there really is no tomorrow...