View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

fysh,

You're right about the fishing season ahead. Like other seasons in my past, it will carry with it no short supply of moments remembered, small slivers of time that stand as tribute to those no longer with me. And, I will carry them all whenever I set foot in the AuSable River.

Loss is an inevitable thing as one nears the six-decade mark, a birthday that I was once told wasn't in my future. Now, over 15 years later, I realize what a roller-coaster ride that longevity of life can be-- highs one minute, and lows the next. I believe that enduring the changes only helps in both our own personal growth, and in strengthening our resolve to live our lives just a little better each day.

I sat down at the computer this morning to collect my thoughts and put them to paper for the upcoming funerals. As I started to write, it hit me that those who will be assembled for the services don't want a speech. What they want-- and need, at this point --are the simple observations of a man who had the privilege of sharing some tying time with a couple of really great kids. So, I intend to deliver my words "off the cuff," so to speak, and from the heart.

As for Montgomery Jackson and our years together? Come the day before the traditional "Opener," I will enjoy a wee dram as I watch the sun drop below the treeline from a vantage point on the South Branch of the AuSable River known as "The Chapel." The late George Mason left a huge stretch of land known as "The Mason Tract" to the state of Michigan years ago, a guaranteed access point for all anglers who wanted to fish the South Branch. He also left enough money to erect "The Chapel" on the banks of the river, a great place for a weary angler to rest and reflect. For as long as I can remember, every trout season opened in this fashion. 2013 will carry on that tradition...

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.