View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Some years ago I enjoyed the privilege of being the guest of an elderly, richly experienced salmon expert; a man I could really learn a lot from. His water was the magnificent upper section of a crystal clear river far out on the Gaspe Peninsula. He took me, one fine morning, to a big, deep, slow flowing pool and, as we gazed from a high bank into its depths, squadrons of salmon were visible barely moving a fin. A few were very large and at least one may have gone 50 pounds. It was our intent to only fish a dry fly to these fish. We approached the pool by descending a steep bank through the forest and wading out into the tail of the pool. At that time, Gary Loomis's GLX rods were quite the rage and I had a 10'/#8 which was unpainted, sanded to a matte grey finish with black thread wraps, a black anodized reel seat and reel. We stood quietly surveying the fish and the subtle currents. And, when instructed, I raised my rod to make the first cast, the salmon immediately exhibited agitation...drop the fly behind you he implored. The fish see your rod's movement or a glint of light off it he suggested. We carefully backed out, headed downstream, crossed the river and approached the big pool from the other side. Now we can cast with better light, he explained, and I did so several times with no disturbance to the fish until, mid drift, one fine hen, not the giant one but not too bad, twitched her pectorals and rose through the column of water, drifted back with my bomber and inhaled it...then, as she leaped for the sun, the rest of the fish became disturbed again.

I honestly don't believe it mattered that the rod was cosmetically stealthy, it was obviously the position we were in relative to the morning light's angel and when we fished from a better position the rod could have been International Orange and it would not have mattered though it would have looked out of place on the rustic camp's rod rack.