View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you need to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Actually it's less than 45 minutes until the finish sets-up enough so that you can ignore it and it won't sag.
At first you want to give the rod a 1/4 turn every few minutes, but once you get to around 20-30 min. you can wait as much as 10 minutes between turns
45 minutes? Wow, that is a lot faster than I would have thought.

I read an article (in Rod Builder archive I think) in which the author claimed that it is easier to get a perfect finish turning by hand for a time. The idea, which makes sense, is that unless you can apply a perfectly level coat of epoxy, consistent turning will not change it. It won't sag, but it also will not completely self level out because it is continuously rotating at a slow RPM. Rather, the article suggests apply the finish and then letting it sit still until it does start to sag. Then rotate the blank 90 degrees and let is flow until it again sags on the opposite side. Do that a couple time until the finish has leveled and evened out across the wrap. Then let it turn to cure without further sagging.