View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Effective small pond fishing

Thanks, turbineblade.

So your method is to cast to a spot then what? Pull the rod "up" or lean it sideways to strip it in slowly? I guess whichever works...

But I still have a question: how far do you strip the line in? Say you cast it out there 20-25 feet. Do you strip it toward you until it is about 10 feet from your feet? More? Or a lot less? I know the real answer has to be "it depends" but there has to be some sort of guideline!

I am one of those people who probably make things harder than they really are.

As fat as soft-hackle flies are concerned, I was thinking those because they are easy to make and I like playing around with colors on them. Even I can whip up a bunch of those in an hour or so. In fact, I may make some tonight.

This sounds silly but I am really looking forward to this. It may be because I have a couple guys at work who are at least thinking about taking up fly fishing and this will give them an opportunity to try it out in a casual setting. But before I ask them along, I want to be able to at least be able to catch a fish in these settings.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

tbiii,

You say my floating line should work just fine. That makes me happy!

But should I make the tippet be longer? Especially in the heat of the summer when the fish will probably be in the middle of these ponds? (By the way, there are some cattails in the one pond and not much of anything in the other.