View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
2013 renzetti traveler $160

Finally... someone just HAD to mention this baby! I would't mess around and would get a true rotary like this one. A vise that allows you to rotate the hook while keeping the hook shank on center simply helps in making even, consistent wraps of ribbing, wire or anything that wraps around the hook shank. The pressure you exert is very consistant from bend to eye and you're viewing the entire fly as you wrap.
Can this be done in a non-true rotary or even a fixed jaw vise? Yup... for sure. You can even use Vise-Grips to hold a hook but there is no need these days with so many true rotary vises available. The Renzetti Traveler is a work horse that does everything well.
For $100.00 you can get the Renzetti Apprentice. It too is a rotary but not a true rotary. This type is still great for doing a lot of what any rotary vise is used for, checking out the uniformity of your fly and tying on any side of the fly.

I just glanced back and saw the question about the different Traveler finishes. Anodizing will hide soil and fingerprints but cost you. The plain model takes on a neat 'patina' with use. This you get after moderate use but looks really great if you tie a lot. Instead of a patina it starts to shine where you handle it the most. I like stuff like that but then I also like the 'lived in' look on my cork grips.

Last edited by Jackster; 03-22-2013 at 12:16 AM.