View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default When The Tables Turn...

As the minutes tick by and the hours grow shorter before I take to a church pulpit and deliver my thoughts at the funeral of one of "my kids" from my tying classes, I'll admit to being struck by the uncomfortable parallels that the moment with bring with it.

Twice in the last 5.5 years, my wife and I have been among the "listeners" of those who chose to stand up and speak about our late daughters. When Lauren died in '07, I was blind because of my second brain tumor. So, the best that I could do was to listen to the heartfelt observations of friends and family.

Within months after the "miracle surgery" that restored my eyesight, we lost Laramie, our youngest, to a battle with leukemia in 2010. At her funeral, many of my same friends spoke about how great a kid she was to be around, and her brave spirit, even in the face of overwhelming odds. It was difficult to watch friends and fathers struggle to find the right words.

Now, the tables have turned, and both today and tomorrow, I will be front and center, and baring my soul before crowded churchs with a singular purpose in mind-- to try and ease the pain, if only just a little, of a family wrought with grief. I pray that my words convey to both families how truly special their kids really were, and how lucky I was to have known them both...

Jerry, aka hairwing530