Thread: Fly Shops
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Shops

I have two local shops to choose plus one destination shop that's about 2 hours away.

One of the local shops has excellent staff, a good selection of products and materials and will order anything/everything you're interested in. These guys get a good bit of my business because they're extremely helpful and go the extra mile. It is also the closest. Sometimes I go there with the intention of buying something that I'd expect would be in stock and come home without it. Depending on how quickly I need it, I'll order it online or I'll order it through them. Unless I'm buying pre loved gear, I try to make major purchases there unless they don't carry something I'm looking for.

The other shop is kind of old school. The staff consists of the owner. Always decent enough to me, but not quite as inviting as the other shop. The selection of products is decent but old school and could use a good update. They have a good selection of tying materials and that's generally my purchase there. Funny thing is, I was speaking with someone the other day that I'd never spoken to and when discussing this shop, the comments were much the same.

The destination shop has a super selection of everything. Top brands, good price ranges of products great staff and I'll pick up what I need while there.

What I appreciate about all three is that I've never felt as though they were trying to put me into the most expensive piece of equipment just to make a big sale. They're informative and will often recommend less expensive alternatives if that particular model is worthy of the recommendation. Of course I typically do my homework before making a major purchase and my research seems to be consistent with their messages quite often.

Some things are best purchased in person. Others not so much. To that end, there are a few online shops that get my money too because of great prices and experiences.