View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Flyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud of
Default Re: Effective small pond fishing

A proper carp rod one of those things you'd want to ask others about, and there will be tons of threads on it on this board. I'm not yet a carp fisherman; one of my plans for the summer is catching one on the fly.

I would think a 5 or 6 weight would be ok for bass and koi, unless one of them was truly behemoth. The sites I've consulted lead me to put 6 weights at a minimum for actual carp. I have twice had carp foul-hooked on a six weight. and it was all I could handle. FWIW, I lost both fish. One was nearly at the end of my backing and I had to try to force him in. (snapped leader). The other I overhorsed stupidly and broke off.

Slow action 8 weights are traditional for largemouths for throwing bigger flies and those big deer hair poppers.