View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Effective small pond fishing

To be honest, I wouldnt get another rod for the carp. Heres why:

1. You aren't sure there are any.
2. Koi may or may not take flies, and if they do, they probably arent huge koi
3. If its a small pond, there probably isnt a great deal of structure to yank them out of, and its not like they can run far.

I myself plan on trying to land a carp on my new 2wt this summer. The rod wont break on you, you dont need to worry about that. All you will have to do is let them take their time a little more.

Above all, let your experience govern the gear you need. Go out, catch some fish, see how your gear handles what you catch. If you find yourself outgunned (which I STRONGLY suspect you wont), then consider purchasing something new.

Even if you are a little outgunned, I prefer it that way, puts more fight in the fish, even if it takes a little longer. I used a 5wt as my primary largemouth rod for a long time, and even used it everyday in florida during college to catch small jacks, barracuda, and other hard fighting fish.