Thread: 'Merica!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Merica!

Actually you don't need to be to patient. If you do a little practice you can lay down a lot of threads at one time. In those flags I put the stripes down in one pass. There is something like 6 threads in a stripe. It sounds hard but it really isn't. I have heard of people who can lay down twice as many as that in one pass.

If you guys ever decide to do it, it's actually pretty easy. I learned to do it from a book named Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens. Even weaves are not as bad as people like to think they are. I learned to do them from a video called Advanced Weaving Techniques by Doc Ski. Single color weaves are not hard to do as long as you do a fish or something without a ton of thread changes in the middle of the pattern. This is an example of lots of changes in the middle of the pattern. Submarine Dolphins;
Click the image to open in full size.

This is a three color weave. I've posted the photo before, but it's a good example of a multi color weave that looks good but is easy. That and it's my favorite copyright violation. It was actually easier than the single color weave above was. The Minnesota Wild logo.
Click the image to open in full size.

I should have also mentioned in the previous post, that a good layout and keeping the threads lined up in place as you go will result in a better looking wrap. Do it on an underwrap and good thread tension help also.