Thread: All around 4wt
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All around 4wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
"Need" an all around four weight for light fishing in Colorado that will complement my 590 Z-Axis, but not over shadow my Scott 884 G2.

I have narrowed it down to the 490 Sage One (even though they are ugly), 490 Orvis Helios 2, or go bonkers and get the 489 Sage Circa and forego the all around rod and throw dries.

Anybody have any input on the rods?

Thanks
Randy
Of what you listed, I would rule out the Sage One. For a four weight, it doesn't load that well in close. You would be better with something not as quick. I would err towards the Helios 2 in the mid-flex version unless you really want a Sage Circa.

I'm kind of biased against fast rods in a four weight configuration. When I think four weight, I feel that it is a configuration designed more towards a gentler presentation. It is also hard to feel a fast rod load with little line out.

There are a bunch of us on the website who complement our Sage 590-4 with a Sage ZXLs. I use a 490-4 ZXL primarily as a dry fly and soft hackle rod, but I have been known to throw lighter nymph rigs.

Dennis