View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Shenandoah National Park in Winter

I was driving back from my brother's house yesterday and stopped by the most popular stream in the Shenandoah Park to try to catch some brookies. I had the stream to myself, due to the weather (33 F, 25mph wind). The stream was as high as I've seen it in the 3 years I've fished the park. I had no clue how to find the trout as I covered a new portion of the stream. After that, I went to a well-known honey hole and found some trout on the rise to a few march browns hatching off. These brookies get so much pressure that they act like brown trout. I didn't have the right pattern, so I missed more than I caught. But I did fool 3 healthy brookies. The best was 10", a very nice trout for the park. He spit the hook and slipped out of my hand while I was digging for the camera, though. Below, I've attached photos of the other 2 trout (7" and 8") and the hole in question. This is, imho, the best hole on the best stream in the park.

Click the image to open in full size.
That dead pine tree provides great cover to the trout, but makes the hole a lot tougher to fish.