View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flycast tips or tricks for a 1WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
When casting my 1WT the forward cast is fine, I get a fairly tight loop and decent line speed for a 1WT. My question is the back cast, I noticed the line is so light it sort of really limps out and falls flat after about 20' of line come out. In other words with 30' out on a 4wt I have 30' of line parallel to the ground on the backcast.With the 1Wt it sort of collapses towards the ground.
I would be surprised if a higher trajectory actually cured the backcast problem.

A fly rod doesn't not know if it is casting forward or backward. So if the casting stroke is identical in both directions, the forward and back casts will be equal.

What the higher backcast trajectory has done is to allow a longer time before gravity brings your "limp" cast down to the ground. This allows the backcast to fully extend but it does nothing "cure" the limp cast if the trajectory change was all that was done.

I think your problem is an unbalanced casting stroke which leads to the unbalanced cast. I would say that 99% of casters have a forward cast that is better than their back cast. So at the forward limit of your casting distance, your weaker backcast has revealed itself. If I want to improve my casting distance, it is not my forward cast that I need to work on, but my back cast.

I can't tell you what the problem in your backcast is without a video, but I think there are several possibilities. One is a soft stop. Another is poor acceleration. Another is a convex tip path.

My advice is to work, not only on the angle of your backcast; but on the backcast itself, regardless of the angle of the backcast. One way to do this is to make your cast sidearm so you can look at your backcast as you make it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy