View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

It is finished... Within the span of roughly 30 hours, I stood before many who didn't know me by any other measure than that of my words, and some who know me quite well. As it was yesterday, the airing of my thoughts and feelings was a true test of who I am these days, and the journey that has brought me to this point.

I was pleasantly surprised at the turn-out, especially the two pews filled with even more of "my kids" from both the past and present classes. They readily stood out from the crowd, their heads adorned with whatever hats I managed to wrangle away from the many companies in the industry who annually support the little project. I always try to outfit "my kids" with hats, as it tends to minimalize the impact of their chemo or radiation treatments. I know what it's like to be among the "hair follicles-challenged" during treatments...

Seeing even more of them gathered together for a singular purpose-- and a few stretched back to the first of the classes years ago --really drove home the fact that I have had the privilege to teach and be around some of the greatest kids in the world and their parents. Every class of "my kids" has left me better for the experience, and prouder of said kids than I can tell you. Every one of them has possessed a certain strength of character and grace in the face of adversity that went well beyond their years. And, in the end, one can't help but admire them for it and respect their courage.

My final prayer is that the youngster we laid to rest today soon finds herself in the company of the "Sam & Larry" duo. She'll be a perfect fit... Jerry, aka hairwing530